- This event has passed.
February Green Connect Social
February 20, 2020 @ 5:30 pm – 7:30 pm
Why is sustainable wood so important?
Join USGBC Redwood Empire Board for our Green Connect Social and Climate Resilience Talks.
Enjoy a short program on Wood, Forests & Climate. This program explains the vital role that forest protection and climate-friendlier forestry can play in combating the climate crisis, by safeguarding and increasing stores of forest carbon while safely removing some of the excess of CO2 in the atmosphere.
Presenting Board Members:
- Lewis Buchner is a partner in MYRA Millwork – a boutique design-build woodworking company in Sonoma County. Lewis has 25 years of experience in sourcing and promoting sustainable wood products.
- Claudia Cleaver is owner and principal at Morse & Cleaver Architects, a Sebastopol based firm for residential and commercial projects rich in wood and natural finishes.
“Wood, Forests, & Embodied Carbon”
This short program outlines the latest research findings of the role that forests can play in mitigating climate change.
- Forests’ role in combating climate change
- Is increased wood use beneficial or detrimental?
- Forest carbon: what it is & how it works and why it’s critical to understanding the real carbon footprint of wood
- Forest protection, proforestation, restoration and afforestation
- Climate-friendlier forestry & how to promote it
- Illegally logging & climate
- Declare, Map & Test: a new approach to avoiding illegal wood in building construction
30 minute program starting at 6PM, followed by conversations about local climate resilience.
Presented by USGBC Redwood Empire
US Green Building Council – Redwood Empire Chapter
15 people are attending February Green Connect Social